One of the first products to which we are introduced when we begin in our process of transitioning to natural hair or healthier hair are natural oils. Learn how the make the most out of using them!
Carolina? What are natural oils good for?
Ahh ... If my hair grew an inch for every time people asked me this question, I would have the longest mane in all the land.
One of the first products to which we are introduced when we begin in our process of transitioning to natural hair or healthier hair are natural oils from olive, coconut, grape seed, argan, jojoba and others.
Whichever of your choice, natural oils have a well-earned reputation for providing nourishment to hair and skin. They are usually used for their fragrance (essential oils) and healing properties, and have become one of the quintessential ingredients within the cosmetic industry.
That is why today we are going to share with you some ways to get the most out of those special and precious little bottles.
The many use we can give oils to our hair
The oils can be used to:
• Seal the moisture in the hair
• Scalp massages
• Protecting ends
• Hot oil treatments
• Promoting hair growth/length retention
• Natural shine
What's the best oil for my natural hair?
When used correctly, oils can provide many benefits, so we recommend the following tips when choosing the oil of your choice:
• Investigate: the hair needs of your friend or sister, are not your hair needs, this means that what works for someone else will not necessarily work for you. Research, read, ask and try until you find the one that gives you what you are looking for.
• Read the labels: This is important! Most oils sold in large department stores are not entirely natural oils but mixed with mineral oils, fragrances silicone and dyes that dry out and affect hair growth.
• Read reviews and support sustainably sourced oils: Now with the internet you can type in a brand and type of oil and get a bunch of information. I encourage you to get oils that are sustainably sourced.
Tips and tricks to put oils to work
Okay, so you did your research and purchased your oils now what? To use the oils you can:
• Heat up some water, place oil in a container and heat the oil by placing the container in the hot water. This makes a great hot oil treatment
• Spread a little on your hands, and massage the scalp for about 3 to 5 minutes every other night, this will stimulate circulation and help stimulate hair growth
• Add it to your favorite natural treatment for some extra slip
• When you finish applying your favorite styling cream, put a little on your hands and apply it to the ends, just a few drops.
• Apply it the night before washing your hair as a pre-poo to prepare and protect the hair for the washing process
• Watch out for how much you use: Once upon a time there was a girl who got so excited about her new oils that she threw them into her shampoo, conditioner, and applied a ton after washing her hair! I promise it wasn’t me! LOL! Remember, everything in excess is bad, so a little goes a long way.
Right now I am using my own oil mix. My favorite oils are jojoba, argan, coconut, avocado, almonds, grapeseed, well almost all of them! I just discovered Monoi oil and I love it! I usually mix my oils with lavender and rosemary essential oils or when I want to feel a fresh and tingly feeling on my scalp, I mix in peppermint essential oil in it.
Remember oils are not moisturizing or hydrating because they are not made out of water. They seal in moisture and can give your hair shine and improve your overall hair health when used correctly.
And you, what are your favorite oils and how do you use them? Let me know in the comments below. ✨